X-ray films contain silver in the form of halides, which can be extracted and converted into pure silver. Some organisations will accept x-rays for recycling.
National drop-off recycling points
Licenced by the EPA and have recycling centres in VIC & QLD. National phone number: (03) 9357 9540.
CMA Ecocycle Australia
National phone number: 1300 32 62 92. No fees apply.
The above organisations will accept all x-ray film that can be sent directly to them or one of their drop-off locations.
Email for collections Xray@siltechpmr.com.au
There is a collection fee that will be quoted depending on location and quantities.
About X-Ray Recycling
- X-ray films are processed in a refinery to extract the silver.
- The x-ray films are heated using temperatures of over 1,000 degrees celsius.
- The silver is extracted and converted into a more pure silver form.
- The silver can then be reused for things such as silver solder, jewellery, the silver plating of utensils, electrical components and film manufacture.
- CMA EcoCycle Australia and Siltech will safely and confidentially destroy your records, however if you dispose of these yourself send just the film.