Giving, Receiving, Swapping or Selling Online
This page contains information about online forums for finding, giving, swapping or selling pre-loved items. (See our pages on Reuse Centres or Community Reuse Initiatives for other opportunities).
Buying and Selling - General
The following websites provide an online forum to buy or sell items (both new and second-hand). In some cases free items to be given away may also be listed.
- Charitizer - one-stop online site to buy swap and donate.
- Gumtree - Advertisements (either to sell, receive or give away items) can be posted on the Gumtree website for free.
- eBay charges a listing fee as well as a percentage of your sale price. eBay has an international reach so that items can be traded overseas.
- Tradingpost.com.au is an Australian only website. Charges an upfront fee to list your ad, but comes with a guarantee. Sell it in 4 weeks or your money back.
- Community Exchange Network is the first and only global network of communities using alternative exchange systems.
- Carousell is a mobile marketplace app that allows you to join, set up an account, make an offer on or list a pre-loved item for free.
- Facebook and other social media sites have community groups that you can join where members give stuff away, anything from food, clothes, furniture to offers of help. An example is a group called 'Pay it Forward' check if there's a group for your suburb.
Free Stuff - General
These forums allow you to give stuff away for free, or find stuff for free that other people are giving away.
- FreeCycle Australia - One of the oldest 'free stuff' forums, the Freecycle Network is one of the world's most used free swap networks - made up of many individual local groups. Each local group is moderated by a local volunteer. Membership is free and the FreeCycle movement is not-for-profit.
- ShareWaste - finder a composter near you who'll take your food scraps.
Book Swapping Online
These forums allow you to swap books online, using a 'points' system and sending books by post.
- Book Swap Australia
- Book Mooch - a forum where you can choose to operate within Australia or internationally
For more information about swap parties, see the Swap Parties section of our Community Reuse Initiatives page.
The Clothing Exchange holds swaps in Sydney, Melbourne & Canberra.
National Recycling Week lists swaps around the country on the events page.