6 Easy Steps to Recycle Right!
1. KEEP IT SIMPLE and only recycle *hard plastic bottles & containers, *steel & aluminium cans, *glass bottles & jars, *paper & cardboard
2. KEEP OUT SOFT PLASTICS and wrapping including all plastic bags, plastic film, chip packets, bread bags
3. KEEP OUT SMALL ITEMS - don't place anything smaller than a credit card into your recycling bin. If the item is too small to go through the sorting equipment it can get jammed in the machinery and shut down operations
4. KEEP IT SAFE for our MRF workers and equipment. Hazardous items must not be placed in the recycle bin, this includes gas bottles, car batteries, strapping, hose, netting, wires, building materials, oil, paint, chemicals, sharps, any hazardous material
5. KEEP IT CLEAN - rinse or wipe your containers. No food scraps, nappies, soiled paper/cardboard or any other organic or general waste
6. KEEP IT LOOSE - don't bag or box your recyclables. Have a designated recycling bin in your kitchen and bathroom to keep your recycling loose
Check out our videos for tips to help you Recycle Right:
Recyclables can be dropped off free of charge at our transfer stations. (Please note: it's free of charge if you have a car load of recycling only and for domestic quantities. If you have a mixed load of recycling and waste a fee will be charged.)
Replacement Recycling Container
If you need a replacement kerbside recycling container, please contact Waste Services on 1300 692247 or complete our request form: http://www.cairns.qld.gov.au/payments/forms/waste-and-recycling.