Coca-Cola Australia has been an Official Sponsor of Planet Ark’s National Recycling Week since 2019. The program engages Australians across the country in recycling education, improving recycling habits and keeping valuable resources out of landfill.
As one of the largest beverage companies in Australia, Coca-Cola plays an important role in driving positive environmental change in the industry.
Coca-Cola’s global sustainable packaging strategy, ‘World Without Waste’ aims to create systemic change through supporting a circular economy for its packaging in every market where Coca-Cola operates.
In Australia, Coca-Cola introduced the first 100% recycled plastic bottle for carbonated beverages in Australia – an award-winning milestone for Coca-Cola Australia and their bottler, Coca-Cola Europacific Partners (formerly Coca-Cola Amatil).
The caps and labels are not currently made from recycled content but Coca-Cola is exploring technical options to help address this.
Coca-Cola Australia's commitments to a circular economy
There has been progress in Coca-Cola Australia’s sustainable packaging and circular initiatives:
- All Coca-Cola bottles and cans are recyclable by design, giving them every chance of becoming a bottle or can again
- 7 out of 10 of Coca-Cola’s plastic bottles are made from 100% recycled plastic (excluding caps and labels).
- Supporting cost-effective, well-run container deposit schemes across Australia which are now in operation in all mainland states and territories.
- Working with environment partners to help turn the tide on marine plastic pollution.
- Bottling partner CCEP has invested in two PET recycling facilities here in Australia supporting the Coca-Cola vision to help their bottles become a bottle again.
- Transitioning the iconic green Sprite bottles to clear plastic, which makes it more possible for them to be recycled into new bottles.