- Take your plastic bags to your nearest participating supermarket for recycling. Keep plastic bags out of your home recycling - they can cause big problems when placed in your kerbside recycling bin. Simply put your recyclable items straight into the recycling bin.
- Remove the lids from your plastic bottles and make sure they are empty before you place them in your recycling bin. Find out why.
- If you have broken glass or ceramics like ovenproof dishes, drinking glasses or mugs, creatively reuse or place in your rubbish bin, because just 15g of ovenproof glass can contaminate one tonne of normal glass, making it useless for recycling.
- Hosting a big party? Make a statement by repurposing some cardboard boxes and placing them strategically to make recycling bottles easy for your guests, and easy for you to clean up later! Attach the sign to the right to make it obvious!
- Reduce food waste by making a meal plan and shopping list, and buying to the list. It's better to buy more later if you need it, than to waste what you have too much of. Make other meals with your leftovers, and recycle your food scraps with a compost heap, worm farm or bokashi bucket.
- Steel twist tops and jam jar lids can also be recycled, but they are too small to go straight in the recycling bin. The best way to recycle them is to collect them in an empty steel can and squeeze the top closed. Then the can with the tops inside can go into the recycling bin.
- When recycling containers, a quick rinse is all they need, they do not have to be spotless. Remove stuck on food from paper and cardboard before recycling.
- Support recycling through your buying habits.
There are many other deposit programs that collect items you can't recycle at kerbside, for example:
- Printer Cartridges: Participating brands can be recycled via the 'Cartridges 4 Planet Ark' recycling boxes in participating Australia Post, Officeworks, Harvey Norman, and Dick Smith Electronics stores.
- Mobile Phones: These can be recycled through MobileMuster.
- Cigarette, Cleaner Packaging, Nespresso Coffee Capsule and Oral Care collections can be set up by organisations through Terracycle.
To find drop-off locations in your area to recycle these items and many more, search on the front page of RecyclingNearYou.com.au or call the Hotline on 1300 733 712.