The best way to dispose of the light globes depends upon their type.
Fluorescent tubes, compact fluoros (CFLs), HIDs and metal halides all contain mercury and need to be recycled through council, commercial or community programs that safely separate the different elements. Search for options in your area below. There is a specific globe recycling program in South Australia and toxic waste programs in New South Wales, Victoria and Tasmania that collect CFLs.
Incandescent globes and halogens can be recycled through some of these programs or can simply be wrapped in paper and disposed of in the garbage bin. They are made from low value and non-toxic materials which makes recycling them very difficult.
If your workplace or business has large quantities of light globes to recycle, visit BusinessRecycling.com.au to find suitable service options.
Council services for Lighting
City of Mandurah has the following Light Globe and Compact Fluoro programs available to residents.
Drop off locations for Lighting
13 drop off businesses match on Lighting within approx 60km of Mandurah WA
Click the link for business details and map
Pick up locations for Lighting
9 pick up businesses match your query on Lighting
Click the link for business details
|Business Name||Details||Picks up||Fees||Approved||Provider|
|MRI (Aust) Pty Ltd||Click Business Name for details||Nationally||May apply|
|Lamp Recyclers||We are available for collection of bulk quantities of e...||Nationally WA||May apply|
|Toxfree||Click Business Name for details||Nationally||May apply|
|Cleanaway - A Transpacific Business||Please contact Cleanaway on 13 13 39 to enquire about p...||WA||May apply|
|Perth Bin Hire||We deliver and pick up skip bins and bulk bins, and pro...||WA (Metro Area Only)||May apply|
|CMA Ecocycle||Pick up service only for commercial quantities.||WA||May apply|
|West Tip Waste Control||Our Skip bins range from 2 to 30 cubic meters. We can a...||WA||May apply|
|REMONDIS Australia Pty Ltd||REMONDIS collects recycling and waste streams in bins r...||Nationally||May apply|
|1800-GOT-JUNK? (Australia) Pty Ltd.||We cover the following suburbs: Armadale Caulfield No...||WA (Metro Area Only)||May apply|
About Light Globes
- Energy-efficient alternatives to incandescent globes, like CFLs and LEDs, use much less energy and last much longer than old style incandescent.
- Any type of broken globe should be wrapped and placed in your landfill bin. They should never go in your household recycling bin.
- To clean up a broken fluorescent tube or compact fluoros follow the instructions from ZeroWaste South Australia.
Importance of Recycling Light Globes
- Compact fluoros contain trace amounts of mercury and one third of the amount used in office fluoro tubes. By recycling, the small amount of mercury can be recovered, used again and kept out of landfill.
- Recycling fluorescent household globes can also recover other valuable materials like ceramic, glass, aluminium and phosphor that are used in products like fertilizer, aluminium cans and insulation batts.
- FluoroCycle is a voluntary partnership between government and industry to increase the recycling of mercury-containing lamps.
- Fluorescent globe processing is carried out in Australia.