The best way to dispose of the light globes depends upon their type.
Fluorescent tubes, compact fluoros (CFLs), HIDs and metal halides all contain mercury and need to be recycled through council, commercial or community programs that safely separate the different elements. Search for options in your area below. There is a specific globe recycling program in South Australia and toxic waste programs in New South Wales, Victoria and Tasmania that collect CFLs.
Incandescent globes and halogens can be recycled through some of these programs or can simply be wrapped in paper and disposed of in the garbage bin. They are made from low value and non-toxic materials which makes recycling them very difficult.
If your workplace or business has large quantities of light globes to recycle, visit BusinessRecycling.com.au to find suitable service options.
Council services for Lighting
Ballarat City Council has the following Light Globe and Compact Fluoro programs available to residents.
Drop off locations for Lighting
12 drop off businesses match on Lighting within approx 60km of Ballarat VIC
Click the link for business details and map
Pick up locations for Lighting
17 pick up businesses match your query on Lighting
Click the link for business details
|Business Name||Details||Picks up||Fees||Approved||Provider|
|MRI (Aust) Pty Ltd||Click Business Name for details||Nationally||May apply|
|Lamp Recyclers||We are available for collection of bulk quantities of e...||Nationally Vic||May apply|
|Toxfree||Click Business Name for details||Nationally||May apply|
|Cleanaway - A Transpacific Business||Please contact Cleanaway on 13 13 39 to enquire about p...||Vic||May apply|
|1800RECYCLE||YOU CALL - WE COLLECT. eWaste & computer collection and...||Vic (Metro Area Only)||May apply|
|E&O Property Services & Rubbish Removal||Whatever the quantity or type of waste, we'll collect i...||Vic (Metro Area Only)||May apply|
|The Disposal Crew||Click Business Name for details||Vic (Metro Area Only)||May apply|
|Bulls-Eye PC's & Electronics||Please contact us via the website, email, Facebook or p...||Vic (Metro Area Only)||May apply|
|Red Rabbit Rubbish Removal & Recycling Service||We come to you with a truck team and do all the loading...||Vic (Metro Area Only)||May apply|
|CMA Ecocycle||We provide pick up services for commercial quantities.||Vic (Metro Area Only)||May apply|
|Control Bin Hire (Aust.) Pty. Ltd.||Pick up from South East Melbourne and surrounding subur...||Vic (Metro Area Only)||May apply|
|REMONDIS Australia Pty Ltd||REMONDIS collects recycling and waste streams in bins r...||Nationally||May apply|
|REMONDIS Australia Pty Ltd||Click Business Name for details||Vic||May apply|
|1800-GOT-JUNK? (Australia) Pty Ltd.||We cover the following suburbs: Armadale Caulfield No...||Vic (Metro Area Only)||May apply|
|rapid waste management services Pty Ltd||we will leave containers / bins on site for loading eit...||Vic||May apply|
|Need A Skip Now||Customers need to order our bins, which are delivered o...||Vic (Metro Area Only)||May apply|
|Big Bin Hire||We generally hire skip bins for 3 days and pick up on t...||Vic (Metro Area Only)||May apply|
Victorian residents can take fluorescent lamps to Detox Your Home collection points (both mobile and permanent). Detox Your Home is a free service for the safe disposal of a range of common household chemicals, as well as fluorescent lamps. Any permanent collection points in your area will appear in the search results above. The mobile collection service is hosted by different councils on a roster basis around VIC, so check the schedule to find the details of your nearest collection event.
About Light Globes
- Energy-efficient alternatives to incandescent globes, like CFLs and LEDs, use much less energy and last much longer than old style incandescent.
- Any type of broken globe should be wrapped and placed in your landfill bin. They should never go in your household recycling bin.
- To clean up a broken fluorescent tube or compact fluoros follow the instructions from ZeroWaste South Australia.
Importance of Recycling Light Globes
- Compact fluoros contain trace amounts of mercury and one third of the amount used in office fluoro tubes. By recycling, the small amount of mercury can be recovered, used again and kept out of landfill.
- Recycling fluorescent household globes can also recover other valuable materials like ceramic, glass, aluminium and phosphor that are used in products like fertilizer, aluminium cans and insulation batts.
- FluoroCycle is a voluntary partnership between government and industry to increase the recycling of mercury-containing lamps.
- Fluorescent globe processing is carried out in Australia.