Plastic bags can cause big problems when placed in your kerbside recycling bin, most* councils around the country do not accpet them.
Most supermarkets accept plastic shopping bags for recycling, look for the plastic bag recycling collection bin at the front of the store. Torn or damaged reusable ‘green bags’ that can no longer be reused can also be placed in these collection bins.
Many other types of Soft Plastics (inclucing plastic bags), can now be recycled at selected supermarkets through a scheme run by the REDcycle program. These soft plastics include pasta and rice bags, lolly and biscuit packets, fresh fruit and vegie bags, frozen food bags, magazine and newspaper wrapping, and clean plastic wrap/film. Find your nearest soft plastic recycling location here.
If you don't have a soft plastics recycling option nearby, you can post your plastic packaging to:
Attn: Reusable Bag Recycling 38 Chelmsford Street Williamstown North VIC 3016
Plastic Check-out Bags in the Brisbane City Council area
Drop off locations for Plastic Check-out Bags
5 drop off businesses match on Plastic Check-out Bags within approx 60km of Brisbane QLD
Click the link for business details and map
Pick up locations for Plastic Check-out Bags
14 pick up businesses match your query on Plastic Check-out Bags
Click the link for business details
|Business Name||Details||Picks up||Fees||Approved||Provider|
|Hassle Free Recycling Pty Ltd||Will collect bulk quantities only by special arrangemen...||Qld (Metro Area Only)||May apply|
|Brizzy Rubbish Removal Pty Ltd||Click Business Name for details||Qld (Metro Area Only)||May apply|
|A2Z All Waste Recycling||No quantity too small but more cost effective to you if...||Qld (Metro Area Only)||May apply|
|Steve's Rubbish Removals||Click Business Name for details||Qld||May apply|
|ACE Recycling Group Pty Ltd||Click Business Name for details||Qld (Metro Area Only)||May apply|
|Handybin Waste Services||Click Business Name for details||Qld (Metro Area Only)||May apply|
|ReuseMoose.com||Click Business Name for details||Nationally||Free|
|Toowoomba Paper Recyclers||Click Business Name for details||Qld (Metro Area Only)||May apply|
|eCycleCorp Pty Ltd||Bulk quantities||Nationally||May apply|
|REMONDIS Australia Pty Ltd||REMONDIS collects recycling and waste streams in bins r...||Nationally||May apply|
|1800-GOT-JUNK? (Australia) Pty Ltd.||We cover the following suburbs: Ascot Ashgrove Auche...||Qld (Metro Area Only)||May apply|
|1800-GOT-JUNK? (Australia) Pty Ltd.||We cover the following suburbs: Ashmore Banora Point ...||Qld (Metro Area Only)||May apply|
|ACE RECYCLING GROUP||Pickup can always be arrange from any where, please cal...||Qld||May apply|
|Suttons Skips||You must rent a skip bin from Suttons Skips.||Qld||May apply|
About plastic checkout bags
- 20 million Australians still use over 3.9 billion plastic checkout bags a year. That’s 10 million a day!
- A person's use of a plastic checkout bag can be counted in minutes - however long it takes to get from the shops to their homes. However, plastic bags can take between 15 and 1,000 years to break down in the environment.
- Many marine and terrestrial animals are killed by plastic bags that escape from landfill. The best solution to this problem is to use reusable bags that prevent you using plastic bags in the first place..
Recycling plastic checkout bags
- Plastic bags cannot be placed in most* council recycling bins.
- Over 200,000 plastic checkout bags are dumped in landfills every hour.
- Only 3% of Australia's plastic bags are currently being recycled, despite recycling facilities being available at major supermarkets and retail outlets listed above.
*There are a small number of councils that do accept plastic bags in their kerbside recycling.